Finally, the collapse of the Deep State, the criminal, corrupt government, begins. I can’t believe how long it is taking to make any significant progress. These hearings are finally significant. Next the story of the Clinton Foundation, that one will rise if this thread falls in popularity.
Is someone orchestrating the leaks? This has to be coming from inside the inspector general of the DOJ, or via the people on that committee :
George Webb is pushing on the legal fronts as well as continuing his investigations. That is a very interesting phenomena :
The growth of the surveillance state never stops, it has never been rolled back in the slightest :
I told you that Israel would regret the attention the move of the US Embassy to Jerusalem would produce. Donald Trump rises in my estimation all the time. I think Trump is working with Putin as they step by step move the ME back to sanity. If this reading of Trump’s speech is correct and Trump can follow through, Trump really deserves the Nobel Peace Prize, unlike our recent President who was so honored.
Trump is winning, domestic and foreign. The housecleaning at State must be going well. Domestic is a bigger problem :
This repeats what I said, tho it interprets it as MBS, Netanyahu and Trump all being stupid, and the positive outcome as accidental results of their interactions :
And yet another agreeing with the beneficial effects, but blaming the probable outcomes on Trump’s stupidity. I assume that Trump’s team saw that Clinton had sold some financial advantage, and so are doing the clever thing ending the deal. If that upsets relations with Europe, OK with Trump, they are the globalists that have been riding on US power without paying. Iran is going to come out of this fine. :
This overlaps some, presents a picture of the US exiting from the uni-polar power to a multi-power world. I would add that Trump is, on the whole, doing it reasonably calmly, many deft small moves at just the right time. Or else he is the luckiest President in history, the dice always roll for him. Or he could be playing the chaos game better than his opponents.
It also shows how fast things change, some of the thinking in this is bonkers :
Yeah, this has my understanding of things :
Some of the implications of all that :
- Trump has control of his communications. There aren’t leaks out of this White House that hurt Trump, so we know his own people don’t leak and the CIA can’t listen in.
- Trump makes moves, the world reacts. Putin makes moves, the world reacts. Xi makes moves, the world reacts. Those are the three drives in this bit of history.
- Those 3 leaders are not in opposition in their desire for peace and all are reality-based, or try to be.
- It seems to me the common goal of desiring peace in the ME makes Russia and China Israel’s enemy, and thus the US must make them both our enemy.
- Trump’s moves and Putin’s moves are careful wrt each other, dovetail nicely in several places. “Not entirely true!”, you say. “What about the sanctions on Russia?” The sanctions hurt the EU more than Russia, and have effectively been the kind of trade restriction Trump has claimed is necessary to build up a nation’s industry and reality-based economy. From that pov, he did Putin a big favor, and another reason for Russian capital to stay at home and work for Russia. Further, if you dig deeper, I would bet some of Putin’s enemies were more hurt than Putin’s friends, but that is just me being cynical again.
- China’s situation is very different than Russia, will need a different approach. But note, nothing very bad has happened so far, just words. Some cooperative words, in fact, more business.
- Israel is in the early stages of facing the problem of its military and intelligence spending. Netanyahu’s policies are coming under more criticism, around the world and Likkud is always in trouble for some corruption or other. More and more attempts to get pension funds and universities to divest any Israeli companies, around the world.
- Israel is at peak military power, their militarism must be reigned in, the Israeli public is understanding this. Israel has lost the allegiance of young Jews and non-Jews, around the world. This is not anti-Semitism, it is anti-Zionism and anti-Israeli-policy-ism. And beyond that, anti-ideologism. Humans everywhere are more sophisticated about political issues than ever before. If political parties were required to exist on the dues of their members, we would not have nearly as much political conflict anywhere.
- Trump’s moves in foreign policy will allow the US to begin dealing with all of the other problems, all spending priorities. Peace should make dividends, military budget needs to go for infrastructure. That spending can out-weigh the Pentagon’s in political effect, is a lot more productive of votes per tax dollar spent. It might help if the major parties can be neutralized via stopping oligarch’s money going to them. OTOH, the internet is in the process of obsoleting legacy media, and the political ads are part of what is driving that. I don’t recall seeing a political ad for years except as examples in a news discussion. Trump got a lot of free advertising from that.
- Globalization has meant that US economic interests were often subordinate to US foreign policy interests. The EU is very upset about the trends, the US leaving them with so many immigrants they can’t afford to get rid of, who will do the work? Russia and the US are opposing globalization, or at least the US foreign policy that has produced this version of globalization.
- The next big economic downturn will be a global problem. No leader needs foreign problems at the same time, but war has been a standard way to increase political power. None of these leaders need more political power.
- Assuming ordinary education, we can understand that at least Trump and Xi know they have too much power in some bureaucracies. Putin already knows that problem, we should study what he did to protect his government.
- Trump has been attacked by the US Deep State. The world sees it, and the rational people side with Trump. Trump is seen as lowering the US’s profile in the world, giving up the goal of hegemony via economic-military force.
- Who watches the security organs? They are dangerous to countries. The US has not yet developed an adequate answer to this perennial problem.
- The Inspector General in every department must be confirmed by the Senate. I assume that a new guy went in with Sessions? Then Sessions steps aside and Rosenstein has the spot light as all this shit comes out. Trump is really lucky, really, it could not have been choreographed better.
- First end Mueller and put in another Special Prosecutor to go after all of this corruption. The case builds scandal by sandal. Where did Awan Bros spy ring go?
Bad news continues to cascade down upon the Obama-Clinton administration. This is only going to get worse. I said this was inevitable when Trump was elected, tho I don’t know why it has taken this long :
I am glad to see the Pentagon’s problems with accounting systems kept in the spotlight, but this displays even less understanding of the issue than I had about 20 months ago :
It is so easy to believe your own propaganda, e.g. the importance of the US military in WWII :
My kid said that the net has noticed that many of the ‘polls’ they run across have questions much like those used for bank’s etc. personal account verification questions.
From this article on zh, an interesting comment, but there are many other excellent comments to this post :
Were I Russia in Syria, having won over ISIS, I would pull out leaving both the US and the anti-air missile installations, nominally under Syrian control. Then, when the US tries to protect its forces from the Shia militias attack via air strikes, Syria should legally blow the planes out of the air. Move a few antiair systems to the south of Syria, and Israel would need to back down also.
Actually, on 2nd thought, do the South of Syria first. Let the Israelis learn this lesson, it will be just as illustrative for the world with less chance of a global conflagration.
Then, the ME could begin to sort itself out, peace would have some chance.
It would do more to stop the drive to WWIII, to show the US military for the potemkin shell it has become, than anything I can think of. Well, maybe excepting a public demonstration of Russian and Chinese hypersonic missiles with enough military radars and civilian cameras on the scenes to be genuinely convincing :
Stockman explains why Wall Street now controls the economy of main street. The Fed set up the 2017 bubble via zero interest money rescuing Wall Street from the 2007 crash. The current bubble will not pop, that is the nature of bubbles. The Fed can’t control enough of the economy to deal with the side-effects of its actions :
Everyone should read ABC: Alphabetization of the Popular Mind by Barry Sanders (1989-05-14) and then watch this. Compare the evolution of boogie woogie and the training all of those musicians got with how he describes the oral-tradition poets of the Illiad :